- He is always harping on Gaston's physical attributes. I know that his main role is to boost Gaston's ego (which, in itself, might be a vital clue), but LeFou seems to genuinely be fawning over Gaston. You can even see his goo-goo eyes if you pay attention.
- He has interesting dance moves. I know he's just a cartoon, but still. Check out the picture.
- When Gaston first announced that he was planning to marry Belle, LeFou seems extremely concerned and keeps trying to ask Gaston “why her,” but Gaston doesn't give him the chance. Now, I know you're probably thinking it's because she's been labeled as odd, but what if it's because LeFou is worried she'll take Gaston away from him? (Also, he's thrilled when she turns Gaston down and their plan to capture Maurice doesn't work)
- LeFou always puts Gaston first. Gaston's sad? LeFou cheers him up. Gaston's mad? LeFou lets Gaston abuse him. He needs someone to stalk his potential bride? LeFou literally turns into a snowman as he stands in the snow for who knows how long. LeFou puts his own life on the line to please Gaston and gets no appreciation for it. That's love.
- And finally, LeFou takes a lot of abuse. I mean, a LOT. He gets poked in the eye with Gaston's gun, he's punched, trampled, forced to stand in the snow for hours, thrown into the mud, had a tuba slammed on his head, had Gaston's heavy chair dropped on top of him, and more. In many instances, LeFou is actually scared and trying to get away, but he never does. No one goes through that kind of abuse unless they love the abuser, and even then, it's questionable.
Is LeFou really Gay?
Beauty and the Beast is a classic tale of magic, adventure, and love conquering all. It's been one of my favorite movies since I was younger, and I always related to Belle and her love of books, her active imagination, and her longing for something more. So, you can imagine how excited I was when I heard they were making a live version! Now that it's in theaters, I can't wait to grab my ticket and settle down with my bucket of popcorn, but sadly, not everyone will be doing the same. People are seriously boycotting Beauty and the Beast because one of the main characters, Gaston's sidekick LeFou, is gay. Well, I've got news for you. He was always gay. If you watch his scenes closely (or if you've seen it a million times like I have), you'll notice little mannerisms and quirks of LeFou that make his affiliation obvious. For example:
All of these signs point to an already gay LeFou, so why is everyone up in arms about it now?
Oh yeah, because this time it's out in the open.
We can't pretend it away now that it's been confirmed, and I think most of these people feel like they're “supposed” to be outraged about it.
Either way, it's ridiculous, and I will be buying my ticket as soon as I possibly can.
Besides, we all know I'm only watching it for the library scene!
(All the photos are screen shots from my copy of Beauty and the Beast)